“Bipolar is like being in a boat on an ocean by yourself,
And in one hand, you hold the chain to an anchor,
on the other hand, you hold the string to a kite.
Your job is to keep the kite from flying you away
and to keep the anchor from bringing you
all the way down to the bottom of the ocean.
Being bipolar is this fine balancing act
of keeping yourself afloat in the boat.”
- Sascha (kiteandanchor.com)
Chicken, black bean and corn chipotle chili.
Working from home is awesome but it can be super difficult to plan lunches - more than once I resorted to stale peanuts and dried up bits of cheese.
Then I put my slow cooker to use. It’s almost too easy to throw some proteins and veggies into the pot. Set it and forget it and in a couple of hours you’ve got hot lunch ready and waiting. Best of all, you can just stick the insert pot in your fridge overnight and pop it back into the slow cooker the next day for perfectly heated leftovers.
Tl;dr: I don’t even care if this makes me sound like a #housewife
Chipotle chicken, black bean and corn chiliThis has made about 4 lunches for me, go ahead and double/triple/etc:
- 1 can chipotles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 plum or roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh or canned corn
- 1-2 cups rehydrated or canned beans of your choice (amount varies depending on how bean-y you want this to be)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper, to tasteIn your slow cooker insert oven thingy, combine the adobo sauce, the tomato paste, and the chicken stock or water and whisk to combine. Depending on how spicy you like it, chop up a couple of the chipotles and throw them in, too.Season with cumin, cinnamon and garlic.Fold in the tomatoes, corn and beans. Taste, and adjust the seasonings.Nestle the chicken thighs into the salsa-y mixture, make sure they’re either submerged or mostly covered.Cook in your slow cooker on low for 6 hours or high for 4. Shred the chicken meat (it should spread with just a spoon), stir it in, and either enjoy right away with cilantro and crema or cotija cheese, or refrigerate and reheat as needed.No slow cooker? You can also do this in a dutch oven, just preheat to 375, coat the bottom of the pan with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and add a little more chicken stock to prevent too much evaporation.
He talks about you in his sleep
There’s nothing I can do to keep
From crying when he calls your name, Jolene